[OpenAFS] Principal afs@A.COM vs. afs/a.com@A.COM ?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:17:33 -0500

--------------enigF0B5180B4DE9DBE78DEAD635

You want to use the afs/cell@REALM service principal form for the AFS
service principal.   As the Windows aklog is informing you, given the
local Kerberos configuration and the version of Kerberos installed,
aklog must use Kerberos referrals to request the AFS service ticket.
What this means to you is that the Kerberos library configuration is
unable to determine the Kerberos realm that is associated with the AFS
cell.  Therefore, it must rely upon the Kerberos KDC of the client
principal to know the answer.

Why did you choose to create afs@REALM instead of afs/cell@REALM?

If it is because of documentation you read on openafs.org, please point
us to it so that the documentation can be corrected.

No one should be creating new cells using the afs@REALM service
principal names.

There is nothing that needs to be done to your client principals.

Jeffrey Altman