[OpenAFS] token lifetime

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Fri, 6 Jul 2012 14:56:53 -0500

The lifetime of a Kerberos ticket is a security measure to prevent someone
from being able to use your credentials if they can crack your ticket/token.
AFS still uses DES for its tokens, which is incredibly easy to crack these
days.  The limited lifetime is part of what prevents this from being an
incredibly large security issue.  If you have lifetimes that long, with DES,
you might as well just run your servers with -noauth to turn off all
authentication.  (Please please please do not actually do this.)

If you want long-lived tickets, look into using kinit -r, k5start, or any
of the other tools for extending the lifetime of a ticket/token.

Brian