[OpenAFS] empty /afs

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:33:18 -0400

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Lewis, Dave <LEWIS@nki.rfmh.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On one of our fileservers, /afs is empty.  (We're running the AFS client
> on the fileserver because I sometimes do client operations there.)  All
> of our other servers and clients seem fine.
>
> I looked through the AFS log files and didn't see anything obvious (but
> I could have missed something).  The /usr/vice/cache partition is ext3.
>
> CentOS 5.6, OpenAFS 1.4.14.1, 64-bit
>
> $ ls -la /afs
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Apr 14  2010 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 34 root root 4096 May 26 19:16 ../
>
> # service openafs-client status
> afsd (pid 4320) is running...
>
> # du -sh /usr/vice/cache
> 24M     /usr/vice/cache
>
> # cat /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo
> /afs:/usr/vice/cache:900000
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/openafs
> # OpenAFS Client Configuration
> AFSD_ARGS="-fakestat -stat 4000 -dcache 4000 -daemons 6 -volumes 256
> -files 50000 -nosettime"

...but not dynroot.

anyway, did this server perhaps have the afs client start before
root.afs was available?

> Would it be safe to restart the AFS client and see if it fixes the
> problem?  Since the computer is a server and I haven't figured out the
> cause of the problem, I thought I would ask here first.

it might panic. there's an unfortunate issue where the client will
probably now not shut down cleanly.
if it doesn't, do not restart the client or the host will crash.

i suggest either using dynroot or scripting to make sure the
fileserver is up before the client starts.

--
Derrick