[OpenAFS] empty /afs

Lewis, Dave LEWIS@NKI.RFMH.ORG
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:40:08 -0400

[...]

> > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/openafs
> > # OpenAFS Client Configuration
> > AFSD_ARGS=3D"-fakestat -stat 4000 -dcache 4000 -daemons 6 -volumes 25=
6
> > -files 50000 -nosettime"
>=20
> ...but not dynroot.
>=20
> anyway, did this server perhaps have the afs client start before
> root.afs was available?

Maybe, oops.  It didn't occur to me that that might happen, since the
server has root.afs.

The afs server is set to start before the client (S49openafs-server vs.
S50openafs-client).  But maybe there was some kind of delay and root.afs
wasn't yet available when the afs client needed it.  The last reboot was
soon after a power failure.

> > Would it be safe to restart the AFS client and see if it fixes the
> > problem?  Since the computer is a server and I haven't figured out
> the
> > cause of the problem, I thought I would ask here first.
>=20
> it might panic. there's an unfortunate issue where the client will
> probably now not shut down cleanly.
> if it doesn't, do not restart the client or the host will crash.

I'm glad I asked!

> i suggest either using dynroot or scripting to make sure the
> fileserver is up before the client starts.
>=20
> --
> Derrick

Thanks, I'll take care of it later, when I'm not tired.

Conserve Resources. Print only when necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended r=
ecipient. It may contain confidential information which is legally privil=
egedor otherwise protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error o=
r from someone who is not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly =
prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying =
the e-mail. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AN=
D DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. Thank you for your cooperation.