[OpenAFS] How to setup Heimdal Kerberos 5 for OpenAFS 1.7.15 Client on Windows 7

Gautam U Raut gautraut@in.ibm.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:07:50 +0530

I agree that Network Identity Manager is useful here.

>>What is it exactly that doesn't work?
I want to create a installation script which will
execute sequentially and prompt user for required inputs and
setup OpenAFS client with Keberos 5 support.

This script will allow me to automate setup activity,
and create a uniform setup across multiple client
machines in future.

Regards,
Gautam

             Sergio Gelato
             <Sergio.Gelato@as
             tro.su.se>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  Gautam U Raut/India/IBM@IBMIN
             openafs-info-admi                                          cc
             n@openafs.org             openafs-info
                                       <openafs-info@openafs.org>
                                                                   Subject
             07/26/2012 03:10          Re: [OpenAFS] How to setup Heimdal
             AM                        Kerberos 5 for OpenAFS 1.7.15
                                       Client on Windows 7

* Gautam U Raut [2012-07-25 17:29:44 +0530]:
> I have a Windows 7 x64 bit client machine and a valid KDC.
> I have been provided a username and password for that KDC.
> I have installed OpenAFS 1.7.15 client on this my client machine
> along with Heimdal 1.5.

How about also installing Network Identity Manager 2.0 (hereafter
NetIdMgr)?
Available from https://www.secure-endpoints.com/ (which may well be the
same
place you got Heimdal from).

> Now what other steps I need to do in order to get things working.

What is it exactly that doesn't work? You should be able to browse
portions of several cells (e.g., openafs.org) unauthenticated through
\\AFS\all\<cellname>; this requires neither Heimdal nor NetIdMgr.
And once you've got all of Heimdal, NetIdMgr and OpenAFS you should be
able to use NetIdMgr to obtain a TGT for your realm and an AFS service
ticket/token for your cell; the latter might give you access to more of
the data stored in your cell, depending on what the ACLs look like.

(I assume that your AFS cell is already set up.)