[OpenAFS] How to setup Heimdal Kerberos 5 for OpenAFS 1.7.15 Client on Windows 7

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:40:03 +0200

* Gautam U Raut [2012-07-25 17:29:44 +0530]:
> I have a Windows 7 x64 bit client machine and a valid KDC.
> I have been provided a username and password for that KDC.
> I have installed OpenAFS 1.7.15 client on this my client machine
> along with Heimdal 1.5.

How about also installing Network Identity Manager 2.0 (hereafter NetIdMgr)?
Available from https://www.secure-endpoints.com/ (which may well be the same
place you got Heimdal from).

> Now what other steps I need to do in order to get things working.

What is it exactly that doesn't work? You should be able to browse
portions of several cells (e.g., openafs.org) unauthenticated through
\\AFS\all\<cellname>; this requires neither Heimdal nor NetIdMgr.
And once you've got all of Heimdal, NetIdMgr and OpenAFS you should be
able to use NetIdMgr to obtain a TGT for your realm and an AFS service
ticket/token for your cell; the latter might give you access to more of
the data stored in your cell, depending on what the ACLs look like.

(I assume that your AFS cell is already set up.)