[OpenAFS] vos syncvldb failure, attempting to bring old readonly clone online

Ryan C. Underwood nemesis@icequake.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:19:39 -0600

Long story short, a disk/RAID failure nuked a volume and I need to
restore it from a vice partition image.  I have mounted the partition
image at the newly created /vicepd.  I am attempting to get the volume
loaded into the VLDB so that I can copy it over to another vice
partition.  536870940 is a readonly clone.

# vos syncvldb seraph d 536870940 -verbose -localauth
Processing VLDB entry 536870940 ...
_______________________________

-- status before --

**does not exist**

Transaction call failed for RO 4294967295 on server 168.255.255.255
/vicepa
Possible communication failure
Error in vos syncvldb command.
Possible communication failure
...error encountered

The vice partition image is of a partition that used to be vicepa on
the machine it was imaged from and which contained readonly clones of
another server's read/write partitions.

I have no idea what the above IP address is supposed to represent.

I can see all the volumes by using vos listvol on the d partition.

How do I get the VLDB synced up so that I can manipulate this volume
through other vos commands?

--
Ryan C. Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>