[OpenAFS] managing BosConfig in Puppet

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:54:46 -0700

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have a good Puppet snippet for managing BosConfig in
>> Puppet? I'm picturing something like:
>
>> 1. Create the configuration by hand using "bos" commands
>> 2. Copy the BosConfig file into Puppet / version control
>
>> ...and it gets sort of fuzzy for me here.
>
> We just overwrite the current BosConfig file on the system and then
> manually restart bos (outside of Puppet) to make the changes effective.
> That works for us, since we rarely (if ever) change BosConfig.  Puppet is
> primarily a tool for deploying the initial version of the file.

Thanks, initial deployment is what I'm envisioning as well. I'd prefer
to reduce the manual deployment steps as much as possible. In the
pattern that you describe, it sounds like it would be a good idea to
set "replace => false" on the BosConfig File resource to avoid any
accidental changes to current production servers?

- Ken

- Ken