[OpenAFS] issue with rename/copy/move and locks

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 02 Jan 2013 18:58:00 -0500

--------------enig0BD0B2EE3F2BFD3C0ED5F5A9

On 1/2/2013 6:36 PM, David Bear wrote:
> We are using oepnafs version 1.7.XXX varous sub-versions and noted that=

> when we attempt to move or rename folders or files that we will on
> occasion get the message:
>=20
> 'folder in use error'
> 'the action cant be completed becuase the folder or file in it is open
> in another program'
>=20
> This error persists for random amounts of time across different volumes=

> and different clients. Eventually, the error vanishes and the rename
> operation completes.=20
>=20
> We are fairly certain that users do NOT have files open underneath thes=
> folders open. But we have not test this. The users report that they do
> not have the files open.=20
>=20
> The error seems to be that openafs randomly thinks a file is locked...
>=20
> Any ideas?

While I will not rule out a bug the following is true on Windows.  Any
application on the system that has a folder set as the current directory
will prevent that folder and all folders in the path from
being removed.  This check is enforced by Windows not by the AFS service
or file system drivers.

If an AFS lock is held on the directory, that will be visible in the "fs
trace" log data.

Jeffrey Altman