[OpenAFS] issue with rename/copy/move and locks

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 17:31:30 -0700

--f46d0401fe6ff75e9d04d2577be2

Jeff, thanks for your kind response.

I turned of afs tracing.
> fs trace -on

Then I went through the afs volume and started renaming folders.

When I hit a folder where the rename operation was prevent, I clicked on
the 'try again' option a couple of times. Then I cancelled to operation,
went to another folder, succesfully renamed it. Then I went back to the
folder that had the denial -- and it renamed successfully.

I then did an fs trace dump
> fs trace -dump > afs-trace.log

But the log file is empty. So, I'm guessing that afs did not see any
errors.

I also scanned the windows event logs and could not see anything that
seemed related to an afs error, or even a file system error. There are
errors about the volume shadow copy service which concern me but doubt they
are related. The time of the errors I think coincides with the failed
folder renames but I not really sure. Here's the error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The I/O writes cannot be held during the
shadow copy creation period on volume
\\?\Volume{ced7ad8f-db91-11df-aa8e-806e6f6e6963}\. The volume index in the
shadow copy set is 0. Error details: Open[0x00000000, The operation
completed successfully.
], Flush[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.
], Release[0x80042314, The shadow copy provider timed out while holding
writes to the volume being shadow copied. This is probably due to excessive
activity on the volume by an application or a system service. Try again
later when activity on the volume is reduced.
], OnRun[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.
].

Not sure if that is a complete waste of time.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU

--f46d0401fe6ff75e9d04d2577be2

When I hit a folder where the rename operation was prevent, I clicked on th=
e &#39;try again&#39; option a couple of times. Then I cancelled to operati=
on, went to another folder, succesfully renamed it. Then I went back to the=
 folder that had the denial -- and it renamed successfully.=C2=A0</div>
div>
seemed related to an afs error, or even a file system error. There are erro=
rs about the volume shadow copy service which concern me but doubt they are=
 related. The time of the errors I think coincides with the failed folder r=
enames but I not really sure. Here&#39;s the error:</div>
annot be held during the shadow copy creation period on volume \\?\Volume{c=
ed7ad8f-db91-11df-aa8e-806e6f6e6963}\. The volume index in the shadow copy =
set is 0. Error details: Open[0x00000000, The operation completed successfu=
lly.</div>
, Release[0x80042314, The shadow copy provider timed out while holding writ=
es to the volume being shadow copied. This is probably due to excessive act=
ivity on the volume by an application or a system service. Try again later =
when activity on the volume is reduced.</div>
M, Jeffrey Altman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@your-file=
-system.com" target=3D"_blank">jaltman@your-file-system.com</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">On 1=
/2/2013 6:36 PM, David Bear wrote:<br>
&gt; We are using oepnafs version 1.7.XXX varous sub-versions and noted tha=
t<br>
&gt; when we attempt to move or rename folders or files that we will on<br>
&gt; occasion get the message:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &#39;folder in use error&#39;<br>
&gt; &#39;the action cant be completed becuase the folder or file in it is =
open<br>
&gt; in another program&#39;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; This error persists for random amounts of time across different volume=
s<br>
&gt; and different clients. Eventually, the error vanishes and the rename<b=
r>
&gt; operation completes.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We are fairly certain that users do NOT have files open underneath the=
se<br>
&gt; folders open. But we have not test this. The users report that they do=
&gt; not have the files open.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The error seems to be that openafs randomly thinks a file is locked...=
&gt;<br>
&gt; Any ideas?<br>
s. =C2=A0Any<br>
application on the system that has a folder set as the current directory<br=

will prevent that folder and all folders in the path from<br>
being removed. =C2=A0This check is enforced by Windows not by the AFS servi=
ce<br>
or file system drivers.<br>
If an AFS lock is held on the directory, that will be visible in the &quot;=
fs<br>
trace&quot; log data.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>
r>David Bear<br>College of Public Programs at ASU<br>602-496-0424

--f46d0401fe6ff75e9d04d2577be2--