[OpenAFS] Re: KDE 4.8 - files >9 GB - problem

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:32:16 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> Markus Koeberl <markus.koeberl@tugraz.at> wrote:

>> Would it be possible to change the value to 2T in openafs for debian
>> wheezy?  Don't know how difficult it will be to fix this for all kde
>> applications affected before wheezy releases. Does anybody know on
>> which kde package we should report a bug?

> I doubt that will be fixed for wheezy, since it has long since frozen,
> and as far as I'm aware, this is not a release-critical issue.

I concur.  However, I aggressively backport OpenAFS for stable releases,
and it's generally quite safe to run the backported versions instead of
the stable release versions as long as you're happy with the newer
upstream code.  (They get the same security attention as the stable
releases, etc.)  We run them internally at Stanford.  So if this makes it
into the stable branch, it will show up in a backport.

> But if Russ wants to fix this for wheezy+1 or wheezy-backports (I'm not
> sure what the policy is there), a proposed fix is here:
> <http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,9688>. I assume that will not make it
> to 1.6.3, but I expect Russ would be fine with including it in the next
> Debian package if it (or something similar) gets merged into the tree.

I generally try not to pull commits into the Debian packages unless
they've been merged into the stable branch, on the grounds that I don't
follow OpenAFS development closely enough at this point to want to
overrule decisions of release managers and gatekeepers.  But I'm happy to
pull up anything that's merged onto the stable branch that fixes a bug
someone cares about, even if it's not in a stable release yet.