[OpenAFS] Re: Questions about multihoming servers

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 02 Oct 2013 15:13:43 -0400

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 11:07 -0500, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:43:42 -0400
> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 11:42 -0500, Andrew Deason wrote:
> >
> > > if 15640 still occurs, that's a bug
> >
> > 15640 was not a bug in OpenAFS when it was submitted 9 years ago, and
> > it's still not a bug in OpenAFS.  If you want multi-homed dbservers to
> > work, then the primary addresses listed for each server in Ubik's
> > CellServDB must be the one your operating system will actually use
> > when sending packets to other servers' primary addresses.  Otherwise,
> > they will not be recognized as coming from a legitimate server.
>
> I don't see how that could be the case currently, or why that would be
> necessary. SDISK_UpdateInterfaceAddr does not pay attention to the
> address where the packets are actually coming from, only the addresses
> given in the RPC arguments. Is there something else you're thinking of
> that creates a limitation like you describe?

Hrm.  I'd have to do some further digging -- that analysis was based in
no small part on what I wrote in the ticket back in 2004, and it doesn't
look like there was ever a reply to that.  I agree that
SDISK_UpdateInterfaceAddr doesn't use the address of the incoming
connection and never has.