[OpenAFS] ZFS-on-Linux on production fileservers?

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 04 Oct 2013 20:11:29 +0200 (CEST)

> * Are you using ZFS-on-Linux in production for file servers?

Yes.

> * If not, and you looked into it, what stopped you?

Long there was fear and doubt, but the (not) "quality" of HW-Raid
solutions and hassle of Linux SW-Raid convinced us that it could not
be worse with ZFS.

> * If you are, how is it working out for you?

It does.

The are-the-zpools-OK reporting could be more comfortable and
the zpool status output is not compatible to the old one.
But compared to problems we had before, that's a no-brainer.

Don't be surprised if raidz needs CPU power to calculate the
checksums, so you need to get the balance between I/O and CPU/cores
right for the raidz level you want.

> ext3/ext4 people: What is your fsck strategy?

Before that we used xfs on HW- and SW-Raid. We had no problems with
the xfs part of it. However we felt all the time that the possible max
log sizes were 1990-ish.

Harald.