[OpenAFS] ZFS-on-Linux on production fileservers?

Måns Nilsson mansaxel@besserwisser.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2013 20:55:20 +0200

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0

Subject: [OpenAFS] ZFS-on-Linux on production fileservers? Date: Fri, Oct 0=
4, 2013 at 10:31:47AM -0400 Quoting Jeff Blaine (jblaine@kickflop.net):
> [ For those running ext3/ext4, a question further down for you as ]
> [ well!                                                           ]
>=20
> We're still a 100% Solaris + ZFS file server shop. We're EOLing
> our Sun SPARC hardware (with tears in our eyes) this year.
>=20
> Before we spend a significant amount of time evaluating this, I
> figured I'd ask first. Any brief response would be greatly appre-
> ciated. The generously longer the better :)
>=20
> * Are you using ZFS-on-Linux in production for file servers?
> * If not, and you looked into it, what stopped you?
> * If you are, how is it working out for you?
>=20
> ext3/ext4 people: What is your fsck strategy?

I'd second the question about FreeBSD that was asked earlier. My
personal cell runs vicep* on ZFS, 4 zmirrored 2TB SATA drives on an old
Dell 2950 with 8G RAM. I also iSCSI share a few devices (around a TB,
mail spool, backup spool, and scratch partition) from it. I'm very
happy. Rock solid; as good as Solaris on X86 but Larry does not even
get credit. Performance-wise, perhaps not super hot, but enough.

The only important part is that you MUST NOT have a 32-bit kernel. Now,
today, that probably is the default.

--=20
M=C3=A5ns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668
I'm RELIGIOUS!!  I love a man with a HAIRPIECE!!  Equip me with MISSILES!!

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0--