[OpenAFS] Re: No buffer space available

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:10:17 -0500

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:29:40 +0200
Stephan Wiesand <stephan.wiesand@desy.de> wrote:

> > Speaking to you in the context of 1.6 maintenance: this isn't really
> > new (though this specific manifestation might be, I'm not sure).
> > Gerrit 8462 would help with it, and could possibly go into 1.6.6 if
> > we want to do something about it.

As has been pointed out to me, this has been in 1.6 for a while. Sorry;
I thought I checked, but I was looking at the 'git log' for an older
version.

Same thing, though. With 8462 we retry on VNOSERVICE errors, but the
CreateFile operation is not idempotent, so we can't retry it. We
probably should retry CreateFile operations, and swallow an EEXIST error
if it doesn't matter (file was created without O_EXCL). And/or we really
shouldn't let VNOSERVICE propagate to userspace.

> > I assume this was hanging for a little while before erroring out,
> > yes?
>
> Sorry, I really can't tell. When you copy files around a quarter of
> the globe, there are always delays. And as usual, I fired the command
> and then went on to something else. I'm fairly sure it didn't hang for
> more than about a minute though.

"About a minute" I think is enough for this.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net