[OpenAFS] not enough space in target directory

Ian Crowther i.crowther@gmail.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2013 00:07:05 +0100

> I believe that one of my users has encountered this bug (unfortunately, we
> do not have a support contract), but it is happening very infrequently: I
> only know of two occurrences from one client machine in the past several
> months. Can you expand on what the symptoms of the bug are and how to
> confirm that we are suffering from it? Will all volumes be affected if
> accessed via a path that traverses a replicated root.cell?
>
> Also, since it appears that we won't be able to get it fixed, what
> work-arounds are there (I can think of: don't use Windows, use a different
> file manager (but this won't help applications shat use the shell API), and
> always access volumes via the RW path/use replication sparingly.)?

I'm assuming that this is the problem that I suffered. I encountered
it frequently when copying DVDs of largish files to AFS. Since then I
haven't encountered it at all.

One thing I noticed in my case was that process monitor reported that
explorer checked free space on the root volume instead of the volume
that was being written to.

Would somehow ensuring that the AFS server's root volume reports
sufficient free space be an adequate workaround? I have no idea, but
if I were still affected I'd try it...

Regards,