[OpenAFS release-team] Re: [OpenAFS] Re: Naming of "backup" and "up" commands

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:12:04 -0700

Christof Hanke <christof.hanke@rzg.mpg.de> writes:

> Actually I found on SL6:
> /usr/bin/pagsh.openafs,
> so we have now afs-* afs_* and *.openafs
> as renaming-schemes...

This may be a little different.  That naming in Debian (which I suspect
may be where it came from originally) was because we had pagsh.openafs and
pagsh.krb, which could be managed by alternatives.  It's convention in
Debian for cases like this to use a suffix instead of a prefix for the
various binaries that contribute to an alternative if there's no obviously
better naming system.

I think all the other providers of pagsh have now gone away, actually.

See also klog.afs and klog.krb5.