[OpenAFS] Re: Pre-built packages: build options?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 21:46:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:47:39 -0400
> Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:
>
>> First, thank you very much for those who donate time and/or resources to
>> provide builds of OpenAFS.
>>
>> How does one determine how these packages were built? What configure
>> args? Are they all done with bare ./configure && make dest ?
>
> Besides what is stored inside the package formats themselves (SRPMs),
> I've never seen anywhere where we've recorded this. And yeah, that's
> pretty annoying, even for me/us, because when I started building Solaris
> packages I didn't know what options the old ones were built with (I had
> to ask someone).

Indeed, the pre-built packages will be built with different options
depending on the person doing the builds (for the most part that means
per-OS, at this point).

The FreeBSD packages are built using the packaging from the FreeBSD Ports
Collection (well, a local version that gets committed to the ports tree a
little later), in build chroots that are a stock "base system" for the
corresponding release.  That means that the compiler used is clang for
10.0 and newer, and gcc for older releases.

The options to configure are:
--prefix=${PREFIX} --localstatedir=/var --mandir=${PREFIX}/man
--with-bsd-kernel-headers-${SRC_BASE}/sys
--with-bsd-kernel-build=${WRKDIR}/conf --enable-debug
--enable-debug-kernel --enable-debug-lwp
--includedir=${PREFIX}/include/openafs --disable-fuse-client

-Ben