[OpenAFS] Re: Trying OpenAFS, and missing

Kristofer Pettijohn kristofer@cybernetik.net
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 20:55:06 -0600 (CST)

Sorry for the top-post, but I just wanted to let you know my discovery.

I followed the exact same instructions from the Debian tutorial wiki page ( https://openafs.dk/doku.php?id=server:openafs ), except I removed the DES keys and left myself with the two ARCFOUR keys

Keytab name: WRFILE:/etc/openafs/server/rxkad.keytab
KVNO Principal
1 afs/ad.domain.com@AD.DOMAIN.COM (arcfour-hmac)
1 afs/ad.domain.com@AD.DOMAIN.COM (arcfour-hmac)

All of the instructions then worked as expected, and I now have successfully created a cell.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I'm beginning to understand how all of the OpenAFS pieces work together.

We currently have 14 file servers (a combination of Samba and Windows), all part of an Active Directory domain.  Some of the Windows file servers use PeerSync to replicate between each other, simply to ensure local site access is fast for a couple of departments, and the rest are stand-alone at each site.  I am looking forward to test AFS and see if it can provide a good replacement for a single namespace and using read-only replicas to ensure fast access to certain file sets for departments that are overly picky.