[OpenAFS] Extract files from /vicepa

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:43:15 +0100 (CET)

> If I understood correctly, the easiest way to restore the files is to setup
> another afs server and "just" overwrite the /vicepa folder with the one I
> have. Is this correct?

Yes, I think that's still correct. The easiest way to set up a AFS
server is probably to take a linux distro which has pre-packaged
binaries for AFS client and server. Debian for example.

> I don't understand the part about the salvager deleting the data.

I think the ownership and mode bits conain information if the file in
question is "active". The salvager may delete inactive data. But prior
to copying your old data into your new /vicepa/ you can remove the
salvager from BosConfig and then run the salvager by hand with
-nowrite which will tell you what the salvager would have done.

> I have
> the recovered /vicepa folder on a ntfs partition. I'm trying to recover
> again the folder but to an ext4 partition trying to preserve ownership and
> modes ...

Good if you can do that. Zip and Tar archives can be told to preserve
ownership as well.

Harald.