[OpenAFS] Extract files from /vicepa

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:39:04 +0100

On 2014-01-17, at 15:41, Germ=E1n Ferrari <german.ferrari@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> El ene 17, 2014 9:43 AM, "Harald Barth" <haba@kth.se> escribi=F3:
> >

> > > If I understood correctly, the easiest way to restore the files is =
to setup
> > > another afs server and "just" overwrite the /vicepa folder with =
the one I
> > > have. Is this correct?
> >
> > Yes, I think that's still correct. The easiest way to set up a AFS
> > server is probably to take a linux distro which has pre-packaged
> > binaries for AFS client and server. Debian for example.
> >
> > > I don't understand the part about the salvager deleting the data.
> >
> > I think the ownership and mode bits conain information if the file =
in
> > question is "active". The salvager may delete inactive data. But =
prior
> > to copying your old data into your new /vicepa/ you can remove the
> > salvager from BosConfig and then run the salvager by hand with
> > -nowrite which will tell you what the salvager would have done.
> >
> > > I have
> > > the recovered /vicepa folder on a ntfs partition. I'm trying to =
recover
> > > again the folder but to an ext4 partition trying to preserve =
ownership and
> > > modes ...
> >
> > Good if you can do that. Zip and Tar archives can be told to =
preserve
> > ownership as well.
> >
> > Harald.
>=20
>=20
> Ok.=20
>=20
> I was hoping there was some simple way to extract the data, which did =
not involve the creation of an afs server.

I have a perl script from 2005 that could do this - but only for pure =
r/w volumes. If there's a backup or readonly clone on the same =
partition, it will probably fail miserably. It's not polished, may have =
to be adapted to current perl versions etc. And I think it recovered =
nothing but the file content and the path, not mode/owner/ACLs...

Setting up a server is certainly the better option and may well be =
easier and faster. But if you're desperate enough, let me know.

Regards,
	Stephan

--=20
Stephan Wiesand