[OpenAFS] Any preference for RHEL file servers

Kieffer, Catherine Catherine.Kieffer@spirent.com
Fri, 3 Apr 2015 19:33:33 +0000

Well so far I like RHEL 7 thought it is still a bit of a learning curve.  I=
 haven't found any released client installs that I have been able to instal=
l on my RHEL 7 AFS clients and I have been unsuccessful in my build attempt=
s, though my skills in that area are a bit lacking.

I can't say anything about the file server side of it.  But since it isn't =
tied to the kernel I would think it would be less of an issue.

It is strictly a 64 bit install and I used the UEFI boot.

ck

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org=
] On Behalf Of Garance A Drosehn
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 2:42 PM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: [OpenAFS] Any preference for RHEL file servers

It looks like I'll finally get around to upgrading our AFS fileserver machi=
nes.  The new ones will be using Redhat enterprise, and I was just wonderin=
g if there is any reason to prefer RHEL6 vs RHEL7, as far as openafs itself=
 is concerned.

I realize redhat will support RHEL7 for a lot longer than RHEL6, but it als=
o seems to me that a lot of things have changed at the sysadmin level for R=
HEL7.  So, I'm just curious if one of them is better than the other when it=
 comes to AFS fileservers.  These machines will only be used for AFS filese=
rvers, no other services on them.

Thanks.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =3D     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org

Spirent Communications plc
Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdo=
m.
Tel No. +44 (0) 1293 767676
Fax No. +44 (0) 1293 767677

Registered in England Number 470893
Registered at Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN,=
 United Kingdom.

Or if within the US,

Spirent Communications,
27349 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA, 91301, USA.
Tel No. 1-818-676- 2300