[OpenAFS] call for windows buildbot contribution

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 23 Dec 2015 16:47:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

The automated buildbot builder for Windows that performs a test build of
each code submission to gerrit before that code can be merged into the
tree has been disabled; please see the forwarded message below.  That
builder was previously donated by Jeffrey Altman and provided tremendous
value to the OpenAFS project over the years; thank you Jeffrey for having
donated these resources for so long.

It is my opinion that in the absence of a gerrit-triggered windows
builder, the OpenAFS code for windows will very quickly bitrot and become
unusable.  The development environment for Windows imposes constraints not
found on Unix systems, and most of our developers are unfamiliar with
those constraints, so without a way to automatically enforce them before
merging commits, the windows development constraints will quickly be
violated.

If you are interested in OpenAFS continuing to function on the Windows
platforms, I urge you to contribute resources towards a functioning
Windows buildbot builder.
http://git.openafs.org/?p=openafs.git;a=blob;f=README-WINDOWS;h=4f9af252f51677dd49e32c4af4411bd96eed53c9;hb=HEAD
has some (probably somewhat outdated) instructions for setting up a
Windows build environment.  Do note that the specific (old) versions of
various softwares are important: newer versions will not work in most
cases.  I may be able to provide some assistance in setting up a build
environment; please post questions encountered while setting up such a
development environment to openafs-devel@openafs.org.

Thank you,

Ben Kaduk