[OpenAFS] OpenAFS still in development?

Daria Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Sun, 21 Jun 2015 19:31:02 -0400

--001a11c30f9ee216d305190f8c8b

On Sunday, June 21, 2015, Ted Creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.net> wrote:

> It might be best to run older OS's like XP and Yosemite as virtual
> machines under Linux, and rely on older but functional AFS versions. That's
> what i'm doing.
>
> If there is a business case for additional functions then Win 10, etc with
> all its add on costs must be paid for.
>
> Sad to say but maintenance of AFS/YFS requires effort/money and Apple &
> Microsoft are busy locking up their OS's because they won't compete with
> Linux et al.
>
> Just like ATT did with Unix .  (Remember the $1,500 per box  license fee
> from ATT&Berkley for SVR5 R4?). That gave MS the entry point for DOS.
>
> One has to ask why the need for fancy features when an 8K Data General
> NOVA 1200 was perfectly adequate for the majority of small business needs.
>
> Answer: Unless one needs encryption & security, which makes the case for
> the biggest & best. Then software complexity becomes an issue.
>
> There's just too darn much code to maintain.  My observation is when
> written code gets to a certain size the number of monthly critical bugs
> remains constant. Hence the need for "approved" drivers, Istores, etc.
>
> Which won't change the constant number of bugs!
>
> Tedc

Far from locking up, I've found that Apple has been good, if not perfect,
about providing and publishing stable, usable interfaces. Usable includes
the legal right to do so. In that regard, Linux, rather than Windows and
MacOS, is the platform continually locking up more functionality.

Daria

--001a11c30f9ee216d305190f8c8b

n@easystreet.net">tcreedon@easystreet.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote cla=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pa=
t be best to run older OS&#39;s like XP and Yosemite as virtual machines un=
der Linux, and rely on older but functional AFS versions. That&#39;s what i=
ions then Win 10, etc with all its add on costs must be paid for.=C2=A0 <br=
Apple &amp; Microsoft are busy locking up their OS&#39;s because they won&#=
=C2=A0 (Remember the $1,500 per box=C2=A0 license fee from ATT&amp;Berkley =
o ask why the need for fancy features when an 8K Data General NOVA 1200 was=
Answer: Unless one needs encryption &amp; security, which makes the case fo=
r the biggest &amp; best. Then software complexity becomes an issue. <br><b=
r></div>There&#39;s just too darn much code to maintain.=C2=A0 My observati=
on is when written code gets to a certain size the number of monthly critic=
al bugs remains constant. Hence the need for &quot;approved&quot; drivers, =
Istores, etc. <br><br>Which won&#39;t change the constant number of bugs!<b=
 I&#39;ve found that Apple has been good, if not perfect, about providing a=