[OpenAFS] #133222: rt.central.org is not indexed by Google or anything else

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 01:21:55 -0400 (EDT)

The prospect of opening up the bugtracker to google has both potential
benefits and drawbacks, and potentially affects many different people
within the community, so I asked Joe to start this thread and try to get a
sense of the prevailing opinion.

One potential drawback is that the submitted information from users
reporting bugs would now be easy to find, which may or may not be
desirable.  (Yes, the reports are currently public, but there's still a
difference between public-but-you-have-to-know-where-to-look and
public-and-shows-up-in-google.)

On the other hand, people encountering problems would be able to find
previous reports of similar issues, which can help if a problem is being
experienced by many people; similarly, developers would not need to fight
with RT's search interface when researching a class of issue.

On the whole, I am somewhat inclined to find a way to let google and other
search indexes crawl the openafs-bugs queue, but would like to hear more
opinions before doing anything.

Thanks,

Ben