[OpenAFS] some older openafs-client versions have started failing

Mark Vitale mvitale@sinenomine.net
Sat, 16 Jul 2016 05:37:55 +0000

On Jul 16, 2016, at 12:43 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
 wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, Mark Vitale wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> On Jul 15, 2016, at 10:39 PM, Chad William Seys <cwseys@physics.wisc.edu=
> wrote:
>>> I found the break point in when openafs starts having problems with git=
 checkout on my test repo:
>>>=20
>>> First broken: 3.16.7-ckt25-1        (compiled 2016-03-06)
>>> Last working: 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4
>>>=20
>>> Here is a changelog in case someone knows what to hunt for in:
>>> http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/l/linux/linux_3.=
16.7-ckt25-2_changelog
>>=20
>> thank you, this was very helpful.  It's almost certainly:
>>=20
>>    - vfs: Make sendfile(2) killable even better
>>    - vfs: Avoid softlockups with sendfile(2)
>>=20
>> which are backports from Linux 4.4.  OpenAFS had to disable splice() sup=
port to be able to tolerate these changes.  You need OpenAFS 1.6.18 or high=
er to obtain relief for this, and indeed you did report that 1.6.18 is work=
ing fine for you at this kernel level.
>>=20
>> However, this does NOT explain your report of no problems with OpenAFS 1=
.6.17 and 1.6.16.
>=20
> Actually, it does -- debian's 1.6.17-2 contains:
> debian/patches/Linux-4.4-Do-not-use-splice.patch
> which is what made it into upstream openafs 1.6.18.

Ahh.  But what about 1.6.16?

--mark