[OpenAFS] Check free space on AFS share before login

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Wed, 1 Feb 2017 13:29:29 +0100

> On 1 Feb 2017, at 13:15, Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:
>=20
> I think the problem is well known and what one would need to do is to
> make (at every travesal of an AFS mount point) the OS aware of that
> the AFS volume in question is a seperate "device". Then make the
> statfs syscall on that path return the quota info from AFS. This has
> of course to happen dynamically as you make your way through the AFS
> space.
>=20
> This would make every volume look as a seperate file system. There
> are pros and cons in that approach.

I think this is what the in-kernel client does. It's probably the only
way to make AFS compatible with Linux's firm beliefs regarding =
filesystems
(like that there's only one path to an object in them).

> I think noone has written the code (for Unix/Linux) yet, but the

Andrew Deason whipped up some proof of concept code a while ago. I have
no idea how close this is to something one would consider using, and it
wasn't pursued further. But it's still available:

=
https://gerrit.openafs.org/#/q/status:open+project:openafs+branch:openafs-=
stable-1_6_x+topic:linux-mtpt-bindmount

If anyone wants to take off from there...

> Windows client might do this, but I'm by no means someone who knows
> something about AFS on Windows ;-)
>=20
> At our site, so far, is has been cheaper to multiply all quotas by 2
> whenever the problem arose again.

--=20
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-