[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.20.1 on AIX 7.1

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Wed, 8 Feb 2017 23:04:51 +0000

1. I'l be willing to plead our case w/IBM, any shortcut names/emails?
2. What is the desired configuration (hw & sw)?
3. N.b I'm on a comcast dhcp line, fast & stable as long as there are no 24=
 hr shutdowns, I use dyndns to host my domain creedon.biz.
4. I have several boxen on an 3KVA UPS - works fine, lots of power avail.
5. My shop has A/C so servers  run continuously 24/7 year 'round.
6. After Russ's comments is it all going to  be worthwhile?
7. I have 3 afs servers on line (well as soon as  I can get afs re-installe=
d)
8. I have geronimo.creedon.biz as a  spare build machine.
time nice make -j500 takes 30 sec.  Its a duplicate of ookpik.creedon.biz d=
ual xeon 64Gig, etc).
(ookpik has a xeon phi board installed if anyone wants to play).
9. I built/maintain all my own servers (since 1967).
10. Backups are the user's resp. although my servers could easily host anot=
her afs domain.

From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org <openafs-info-admin@openafs.org> on be=
half of Dave Botsch <botsch@cnf.cornell.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:22:54 AM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.20.1 on AIX 7.1

Hi, Ted et al.

Please see below...

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 09:25:35PM +0000, Ted Creedon wrote:
> I just happen to have a spare dual xeon 64gb linux box that could be made=
 available.
> and smaller MAC w/ parallels on it.
>
> I also have a dual 64gb xeon w/ a xeon phi card in it too. cost ~$3K
>
> with a little effort...
>
> IBM generally  waives license fees for non profits.
> tedc

If you are willing to host on the HW mentioned above, as a non-profit,
the Foundation can certainly make the ask of IBM. We would just need a
bit more detail on the exact ask.

> If what you meant was for the foundation
> itself to pay for virtual build servers,
> all that takes if for the foundation to
> decide to spend real money.  I presume
> they have considered that, but it might
> be worth asking the question explicitly
> if it has not been explicitly answered
> (I really have not been following the
> foundations activities).

W.r.t. build hosts, we've been working with folk on attempting to get a
Windows build host or two up. Now that we are into Feb 2017, I need to
follow up on those efforts.

If there's an ask for the Foundation to spend $$ on something
particular, be it build hosts, or even hiring someone to work on, say,
the AIX port, please submit a formal ask to foundation@openafs.org .
Contigent on funds, we will really consider it. And, donating any type
of funding towards this (for example, your org donates a $10K stipend
towards us hiring an independant contractor to work on AIX would go a
long way).

Thanks.