[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Mac OSX 10.12 Sierra - Menu tool fix

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu
Sat, 14 Jan 2017 19:27:08 -0500

I'm using the Sine Nomine build of OpenAFS for Mac 10.12 and found a fix I
needed to make the menu bar padlock tool work.

Since 10.12 locks down /usr/bin with the new security policies, the
installer puts the tools in /opt/openafs/, but the PreferencePane and menu
bar tool don't seem to have that in $PATH, even though it is for
interactive shells.  So, the padlock tool can't find aklog and tokens.
The padlock tool explicitly has /usr/local/bin in the search path for the
AFS tools though, so my fix is to just symlink aklog and tokens into
/usr/local/bin, and it all seems to work.  This just requires regular root
and is permitted by the System Integrity Protection.

It would be cleaner to get /opt/openafs into the default path for the
padlock tool, but I'm not a Mac developer.

I never found this issue with 10.11, even though it also has System
Integrity Protection.

Richard
--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    IT Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219