[OpenAFS] problems with ubuntu 18.04 client

Gaja Sophie Peters gaja.peters@uni-hamburg.de
Tue, 2 Oct 2018 09:38:06 +0200

Am 02.10.2018 um 08:58 schrieb Andreas Ladanyi:

> we had the same problems.
>
> We are using the 1.6 release from ppa (
> https://launchpad.net/~openafs/%2Barchive/ubuntu/stable ) on server
> and client now and there seems to be no problems anymore.
We were probably just lucky, or the packages from the 1.8 ppa
http://ppa.launchpad.net/openafs/stable/ubuntu never had the problem.

At the moment, we live with all clients and all servers at 1.8.2 and
(crossing fingers and knocking wood) everything seems to work.

The one problem we occasionally have (which has nothing to do with the
above) is that when people force a shutdown or reboot at an inopportune
moment during an OpenAFS update, the AFS is entirely lost (the old
DKMS-package deleted, the new not yet built), but the system thinks, "oh
the home-directory should be /afs/math.uni-hamburg.de/users/../... -
let's just create that directory and the entire tree".

In that case, a simple rebuild of the DKMS-module and "service
openafs-client force-start" fixes the problem however.

Greetings,
Gaja Peters