[OpenAFS] Red Hat EL Support Customers - Please open a support case for kafs in RHEL8

Gary Gatling gsgatlin@ncsu.edu
Tue, 7 May 2019 13:45:50 -0400

--00000000000053045405884fca87

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1:38 PM Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@auristor.com> wrote:

> Gary,
>
> As far as I am aware there is no final decision either way with regards to
> inclusion of kafs in rhel8.  There are several components that were not
> merged into Linux mainline until after the 4.18 kernel on which rhel8.0 is
> based. These include not only AuriStorFS feature and openafs compatibility
> enhancements to kafs but the new Linux mount API which provides namespace
> support that kafs leverages and namespacing for keyrings which is needed
> for filesystem credential management on behalf of containers.
>
> There is no business case for Red Hat to commit a ten year investment
> simply to support legacy AFS deployments.  The justification for including
> kafs is to support functionality that will result in new deployments.  That
> functionality requires the new mount API, keyring namespacing, and even
> some features that have yet to be implemented in AuriStorFS.
>
> The door is not closed.  David Howells and the AuriStor team continue to
> fill in the gaps.   This week a request was filed to add /afs to the File
> Hierarchy System (FHS). Inclusion in the FHS is required by some Linux
> Distributions before a new roof directory can be added to the distribution.

Cool. Hopefully they might consider it for a "point" release then. Cheers,

--00000000000053045405884fca87

gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1=
:38 PM Jeffrey Altman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@auristor.com">jaltman@a=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
 is no final decision either way with regards to inclusion of kafs in rhel8=
.=C2=A0 There are several components that were not merged into Linux mainli=
ne until after the 4.18 kernel on which rhel8.0 is based. These include not=
 only AuriStorFS feature and openafs compatibility enhancements to kafs but=
 the new Linux mount API which provides namespace support that kafs leverag=
es and namespacing for keyrings which is needed for filesystem credential m=
=3D"ltr">There is no business case for Red Hat to commit a ten year investm=
ent simply to support legacy AFS deployments.=C2=A0 The justification for i=
ncluding kafs is to support functionality that will result in new deploymen=
ts.=C2=A0 That functionality requires the new mount API, keyring namespacin=
g, and even some features that have yet to be implemented in AuriStorFS. =
sed.=C2=A0 David Howells and the AuriStor team continue to fill in the gaps=
. =C2=A0 This week a request was filed to add /afs to the File Hierarchy Sy=
stem (FHS). Inclusion in the FHS is required by some Linux Distributions be=
fore a new roof directory can be added to the distribution.</div></div></bl=

--00000000000053045405884fca87--