[OpenAFS-win32-devel] OpenAFS for Windows and Kerberos for Windows Development Road Maps

Mon, 08 Jan 2007 12:45:21 -0500

In 2006, Secure Endpoints was able to provide a significantly improved
OpenAFS for Windows client.  The year started off with the 1.4.1 release
candidates and ended with the release of 1.5.13.  Throughout those
releases there were more than 150 improvements.  The most important
changes include:
* No more resource leaks within the SMB Server
* Locally managed byte range locks backed by full file locks on the file
server
* Improved performance when disconnected from the network
* Improved performance for directory listing
* Improved performance when storing temporary files within AFS
* Improved power management event handling
* Support for file sizes greater than 2GB
* Over quota and disk full errors are now reported to the application
* Significantly improved handling of dirty buffers results in decreased
cpu utilization and faster writes
* A Network Identity Manager AFS credential plug-in is provided
* Support for 64-bit Windows
* Support for all versions of Microsoft Vista

Over the holiday break I spent time to document the road maps for the
future development of OpenAFS for Windows and Kerberos for Windows.

OpenAFS:
  http://www.secure-endpoints.com/openafs-windows-roadmap.html

Kerberos for Windows / Network Identity Manager:
  http://www.secure-endpoints.com/netidmgr/roadmap.html

Funding for the development of OpenAFS for Windows and Kerberos for
Windows comes from end user organizations. As always I encourage all
organizations and individuals who wish to support the development of
OpenAFS for Windows to contact me.  Financial contributions as well as
in kind assistance are crucial. Tax deductible donations may be made via
the OpenAFS account operated by Usenix (a 501c3 not for profit corporation.)

Jeffrey Altman
OpenAFS for Windows Gatekeeper