[OpenAFS-port-darwin] configuring openafs under MacOS 10

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:54:21 -0400

At 6:13 PM -0400 6/2/01, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
>Excerpts from internet.computing.openafs.port-darwin: 2-Jun-101
>[OpenAFS-port-darwin] confi.. by Garance A Drosihn@rpi.ed
>>  First, let me say I was very happily impressed to see that
>>  work on OpenAFS for MacOS 10 was so far along that it had
>  > an official installer.
>
>an installer is available because the install tools are readily
>accessible and reasonably easy to use, and because it is desirable
>for people other than unix-aware users to be able to use afs [...]

I definitely agree with this sentiment, I was just pleasantly
surprised to see how far along that work was.

>  > One question I had was why the installer put the changes in
>>  /System/Library/StartupItems instead of /Library/StartupItems.
>
>It's because /Library/StartupItems doesn't exist, and SystemStarter
>has no documentation that I could find. Therefore, the safest thing
>for me to assume was that it only looks in /System

I do have /Library/StartupItems on my system, because I have
installed OpenBase.  OpenBase is a database application which
has some background processes that launch at system startup.
I imagine the installer for OpenBase created that directory,
but the operating system seems to recognize it.

We'll have to track down some documentation on this, I guess.