[OpenAFS-port-darwin] configuring openafs under MacOS 10

Shantonu Sen ssen@mit.edu
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:40:22 -0700

I worked on this a bit this weekend. One issue I came across is that I'd
like each cell to have a checkbox to indicate wether you want it "active"
or not. This will be a temporary hack to keep the Finder from going crazy,
  and will take "inactive" cells out of the CellServDB.

However, it would appear that the CellServDB does not have a comment
format, so it will be necessary to store inactive cells in another file.
Possible scenarios:

1) If a user deactives a cell, just drop it entirely and keep no backups.
The user is forced to manually add it back in.
2) Store an xml/plist version of the "full" CellServDB, with cells
appropriately marked active or inactive. The real CellServDB is generated
from the cells marked active.
3) Store the full CellServDB in CellServDB-format as "/var/db/openafs/etc/
CellServDB.full". This will include both active and inactive cells, and
the inactive ones can be determined by seeing what *doesn't* exist in the
"/var/db/openafs/etc/CellServDB".
4) Store something like above on root's home directory. hmmm.

I'm also modelling this as a standalone application, since the Preferences
API isn't public currently, so we should just make a go of it now.

Thoughts?
Shantonu