[OpenAFS-port-darwin] configuring openafs under MacOS 10

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:41:02 -0400

At 9:40 AM -0700 6/11/01, Shantonu Sen wrote:
>1) If a user deactives a cell, just drop it entirely and keep
>    no backups. The user is forced to manually add it back in.

This seems very unfriendly for the end user.

>2) Store an xml/plist version of the "full" CellServDB, with
>    cells appropriately marked active or inactive. The real
>    CellServDB is generated from the cells marked active.

Non-darwin platforms will have a "regular" CellServDB format.
I think that converting that to some XML format just to
convert it back to the "standard" format is a waste of energy.

>3) Store the full CellServDB in CellServDB-format as
>    "/var/db/openafs/etc/CellServDB.full". This will include
>    both active and inactive cells, and the inactive ones can
>    be determined by seeing what *doesn't* exist in the
>    "/var/db/openafs/etc/CellServDB".

I would do something along these lines.  Have a configuration
setting which says *which* cells should be added at system
startup, and then something else which can be used to parse
the "CellServDB.full" file and execute 'fs newcell' commands
to bring up cells on the fly as the user requests them.

I have a rough setup using a perl script that I use for my
own purposes, but it isn't quite "user-friendly" yet...