[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Resource / Data Forks

lists@southernohio.net lists@southernohio.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 18:36:59 -0400

I have been searching for an ideal solution to synchronize all user
files on my network.  It consists of MacOS X(.2.6), Windows XP, and
Linux (possibly soon to be FreeBSD) machines.  In part I want to do
this to create redundancy as a frequent backup of user files.  This
also needs to accommodate laptops.

I had heard of OpenAFS long ago, but just recently it came back into
the forefront while coming upon an article that basically said that it
blows all of the other options out of the water.

My question is how does it handle the HFS+ oddities (compared to other
Unix FS's and NTFS).  I would like to know how this works before I
start implementing this.  Will I be able to allow a user on MacOS X to
go to a Windows machine and see all of their Word documents?  (I assume
that that will work flawlessly)  But what happens when a Mac user has
resource forks on his or her files or applications?  Does OpenAFS
translate that properly so that it shows up as two directories to the
other OSes or does it destroy the fork and thus render this unusable
for Mac users?

If this does not work yet, what would it take to make it work so that
it is essentially seamless?  It would be wonderful to have a unified
redundant distributed file system!  And this would solve so many
problems that seem to be all over the forums about synching between
Windows, Mac, etc.

Thanks for any input!