[OpenAFS-port-darwin] OS X hangs when accessing files

Systems Administration sysadmin@contrailservices.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:21:11 -0600

Server:  Linux (Gentoo) 2.4.26 - OpenAFS 1.2.11
	MIT-Kerberos5 KDC

Client: Mac OS X 10.3 - OpenAFS 1.2.11
	Kerberos-Extras
	aklog

Problem:
When I attempt to access any file on a mounted volume the Mac OS client
hangs.  This is the same in Finder or as a shell access.  I have
checked the filespace on Linux clients - no hang at all.  The only way
to get the OS X client to cleanly un-hang is to force stop the
bosserver on the Linux server and restart.  Then the client does
timeout and OS X becomes responsive again.

TCP dump shows traffic between the OS X client and the AFS server when
accessing directories leading up to the file access - and rarely I can
get the very first file access, read/write or delete, to complete
sucessfully - however its an illusion to the user as the absolute next
access ALWAYS locks up, directory or file access.

I get no logs, no kernel panics, nothing on the Console, nothing in
/var/db/openafs/etc/AFSLog.

No errors on the AFS server, an no problems on the network for these
clients to access other resources on the same machine.  A ping flood
shows about a 20% packet loss between the server and client machine,
connection is by switched 100mb ethernet (from client to hub) and a
1000M fiber switch (servers on Fiber switch) between the hub and
server.  Ping flood has 0 packet loss on the return from the client and
when doing a non flood ping from the server so this appears to be
dropped packets from the fast Gigabit side to the slow 100Mb client.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can perform?

Ted