[OpenAFS-port-darwin] problem opening disk image files with Tiger & 1.4.2rc2

Gavin Eadie gavin@umich.edu
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 21:55:25 -0400

At 7:42 PM -0400 9/1/06, Gavin Eadie wrote:
>>I assume you actually had permission to read it?
>
>... yes, Derrick; it looked like it started to read the image, but
>I'll do some more work on this to see if I can categorize the
>failure mode more precisely.

... OK, more information.

     I appears that the sequence of events is slightly different than
I described.  The disk image file is read and the disk it represents
does mount, but THAT is the moment that things get jammed.

     I went to terminal on the Mac at the other end of my desk (so
glad I kept that Cube!) and ran fs_usage through the entire process.
As I was reading through this log, it occurred to me that this image
file was made in 1998, and that the image format might be too old in
some way.

     To make a long story short, this is the root of the problem - a
more recent disk image located in AFS mounted OK without jamming
anything.

     My next question is, of course, is will that "old" image mount
locally?  Answer is YES.  So I have a file that opens ok locally, but
jams the Finder if opened off AFS.  Should I send the fs_usage file
for the failing case to someone?  If necessary, I'll make the 171 Meg
image file available, though I'd rather try and make a much smaller
image that fails ... Gav