[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] no rule to make target param.i386_fsbd_50.h

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:49:54 -0400 (EDT)

<<On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net> said:

> My actions depend on what will get me what I want the soonest.  I want to
> replace my Redhat AFS server.  Is the best choice FreeBSD 4X or 5X?

JFYI, there seems to be a bug in the top-of-tree server, not sure
whether it's platform-dependent or not, that requires newly-created
volumes to be salvaged before they can be accessed for the first
time.  If they are not, then they do not appear to have any directory
entries, which you can imagine plays havoc with lots of things that
need to lookup `.' in order to work correctly (including the client on
both Windows and Linux).

> I also want to have AFS client access for all my FreeBSD boxen.  Is my
> best choice for a client 4X or 5X?

I would say 5.x for sure.  If the client is really going to work
properly on 4.x, it won't be any of my doing -- I simply don't have
either the interest or the resources.

-GAWollman