[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS-devel digest, Vol 1 #25 - 13 msgs

Daniel Jacobowitz dmj+afs@andrew.cmu.edu
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:29:53 -0500

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:18:19PM -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, R. Lindsay Todd wrote:
>
> > I modified the spec file to add CC=kgcc, and rebuilt.  It is definitely using kgcc
> > now, but it still fails on kdump.c.  (You can't build this with the normal gcc,
> > either.)  But the make progresses enough that you still have a usable client, and
> > if you make the changes I mention to protect against the "make" exit code, the
> > RPMs build.
> >

> > In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:23,
> >                  from kdump.c:223:
> > /usr/include/linux/string.h:14: parse error before `__extension__'
> > /usr/include/linux/string.h:14: parse error before `&&'
> > /usr/include/linux/string.h:16: parse error before `__extension__'
> > /usr/include/linux/string.h:16: parse error before `('
> > /usr/include/linux/string.h:17: parse error before `__extension__'
> > /usr/include/linux/string.h:17: parse error before `&&'
>
> The right way to fix the problem will involve a bit of work, but will fix
> for gcc and kgcc alike. /usr/include/{asm,linux,scsi} are not linked to
> /usr/src/linux/include/{asm,linux,scsi} but instead are coming from
> elsewhere. I need to get more details to figure out exactly why this is
> happening, but my suspicion is that if you change CC to
> "gcc -I/usr/src/linux-$LINUX_VERS/include" and build kdump, it will work.
> When I have more details, I will share.

This is all part of the awful hacks that we use to get the kernel
headers - including, at one point, deliberately confusing the compiler
into getting <net/*> and <sys/*> from <linux/*>.  It all needs to be
revamped - preferably when we transition to autoconf.  What ever became
of that?

Dan