[OpenAFS-devel] idea for cmd line argument support addition for servers+clients

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
15 Mar 2001 21:00:33 -0800

Neulinger, Nathan R <nneul@umr.edu> writes:

> MySQL has a nifty .my.conf file capability, where you can list stuff
> like:

> ----
> [library]
> 	password
> 	host=fred
> [mysql]
> 	verbose
> ----

> those get turned into command line arguments:

> 	mysql --password --host=fred --verbose

> I was thinking that it might be nice to have something similar for AFS,
> stored in a central location, consistent across all architectures, that
> would be read in addition to command line flags currently specified,
> such as /usr/afs/local/afs.options:

If you want to investigate this approach, please look at AutoGen, since
it's already all been written for you.  AutoOpts, which comes with
AutoGen, does all of this and looks like it does it quite well.  The code
is under the GPL but with an exemption:

 * As a special exception, Bruce Korb gives permission for additional
 * uses of the text contained in his release of AutoOpts.
 *
 * The exception is that, if you link the AutoOpts library with other
 * files to produce an executable, this does not by itself cause the
 * resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
 * Your use of that executable is in no way restricted on account of
 * linking the AutoOpts library code into it.
 *
 * This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why
 * the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.

that should make it usable within OpenAFS.