[OpenAFS-devel] Size limitations in OpenAFS?

Thomas Vincent - 409-974-3678 thomasv@apple.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:06:16 -0800 (PST)

The only problem is you have to license MR-AFS from the Pitsburg
SuperComputing center. (Forgive me if that is not the correct title
of the organization.) According to a previous poster, upper managment at
the center is afraid of releasing it and having it productized.
I believe a previous poster commented that the 8Gb volume size was only a
recommended limitation, and that they had gone well beyond it.

My opinion, not my companies:
IMHO, A agency that is funded by tax dollars is afraid of contributing
the code back to the community, country, and world that it is supposed
to advance. All they need to do is have the license say any modifications
to the code should be contributed back to the center. Maybe a LGPL type of license.
Again, to emphasize, my opinon only here.

Cheers,
Thomas Vincent