[OpenAFS-devel] Size limitations in OpenAFS?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:56:04 -0500

--On Friday, March 30, 2001 08:06:16 AM -0800 Thomas Vincent - 409-974-3678
<thomasv@apple.com> wrote:

> The only problem is you have to license MR-AFS from the Pitsburg
> SuperComputing center. (Forgive me if that is not the correct title
> of the organization.) According to a previous poster, upper managment at
> the center is afraid of releasing it and having it productized.
> I believe a previous poster commented that the 8Gb volume size was only a
> recommended limitation, and that they had gone well beyond it.
>
> My opinion, not my companies:
> IMHO, A agency that is funded by tax dollars is afraid of contributing
> the code back to the community, country, and world that it is supposed
> to advance. All they need to do is have the license say any modifications
> to the code should be contributed back to the center. Maybe a LGPL type
> of license. Again, to emphasize, my opinon only here.

And speaking for me and no one else: what you're missing is PSC is no
longer funded by your tax dollars; They were defunded when the US
government decided they needed only 2 supercomputing centers, and that
those would be NCSA and SDSC.

Regardless of other thoughts on the issue you should not let fiction bias
your opinions.

LGPL, by the way, may not be and is probably not compatible with the IBM
Public License. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary. Some assembly
required. (but only in liblwp)

-D