[OpenAFS-devel] Fileserver fast start options - what effect?

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:26:24 +0200 (CEST)

Lastest salvage took far too long (hours), and I stumbled over the
options --enable-bitmap-later and --enable-fast-restart. As it was not
very difficult to build the server by writing the options, I would
appreciate more information from the author(s) what these actuallu do
and don't do and if there is any more configuration required at
startup. The amount of information found by for example google
(search: enable-fast-restart) is astonishing low. Then I have some
questions to folks actually using this (I hope there are): When _do_
you run salvage? How do you detect volumes that are Off-line? What
options do you use at fileserver startup? Of course, other
observations, tricks concerning fast fileserver startup are welcome,
too.

Thanks,
Harald.