[OpenAFS-devel] Has openafs always been this way?

Kris Van Hees aedil-afs@alchar.org
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:39:24 -0500

That has been the behaviour for all versions I have looked at.  It seemed a bit
odd to me as well when I was looking into it while writing Samba support for
@sys substitution, but it simply seems to be the way it is.  Back when I wrote
that code I spoke to some old time users for AFS, and they didn't even realize
it works that way (and went to check that indeed this is the behaviour seen in
AFS).

I have not found any explanation on why it is this way, other than that it
seems this was the easiest way to implement it (when @sys is only allowed by
itself or at the end of a pathname element, you simply copy the part before it
and append the sysname, whereas if it can appear near the front or the middle,
you need to copy up to the @sys token, then insert the sysname, and then
append the rest).  Of course, when I wrong my Samba code, I implemented it in
a way where it could appear anywhere in the pathname element, and I can't say
I found that to be difficult to implement :)

	Kris