[OpenAFS-devel] Fully Functional Client on Linux 2.6

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 00:33:30 -0400

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 07:11:29PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 06:36:02PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Sure they will!  Indeed this is what I'd like to (eventually)
> > implement, ala the patches sent here months ago to build just a kernel
> > package.  This way when a new kernel is released you can just build a
> > new kernel package for that new kernel version without having to
> > rebuild the whole source tree.
>
> So the kernel packages will have a different spec file and everything?

Nope.  Subpackage.

> > Huh?  You're on crack.  Of course you can have multiple packages of
> > different versions installed at the same time.  Just "rpm -i <pkg>"
> > and you've now got two versions installed.
>
> I may be on crack, but that's a different issue.
>
> You can have multiple versions of the same package installed -- but you
> still can't have multiple *subpackages* (in a spec file) with the same name
> but different versions. But if you're intending to separate out the kernel
> module into a completely separate source RPM, that isn't relevant.

My 2.4 RPMs allow me to install as many of the openafs-kernel
subpackages as I need to.  RPM really treats them as normal packages,
its just they way they are built that make them "subpackages."

Granted, for each "version" of openafs-kernel I have installed,
somewhere I've had to built the entire set of openafs packages with that
version.  Many of my RHEL machines look like this:

pams% rpm -qa|grep openafs
openafs-devel-1.2.11-9.EL
openafs-kernel-1.2.11-6.EL
openafs-1.2.11-9.EL