[OpenAFS-devel] Fully Functional Client on Linux 2.6

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 01:58:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Tomas Olsson wrote:

>> follow suit very soon.  After all, it is the mission of the Linux
>> kernel developers to make life as hard as possible for anyone who
>> maintains code not in the kernel tree.
>>
> Please, take it easy. The syscall hack is a terrible thing, and we should

Jeff's apparently strung rather tight. He won't go drinking, either...

> stop doing it. Sure it's been done for ages and ages, that doesn't make it
> right. Sure it's our syscall, but unless we use it right or submit a
> palatable patch that gives us access in a reasonable way, we'll have to use
> other approaches. Most of the infrastructure we need is there, we just need
> to get it working. Then we can drop this whole awful hack.

Not really good feedback to your point, the syscall can probably be made
to go away entirely, it's just a matter of finding the time to do
everything else better ways. The amount of time involved would probably be
less than trying to find and then agree on a "right" way to use the system
call. Really, the only thing that couldn't be dealt with another
(natively correct, probably) way today (I think) is PAGs. And that's a shame.