[OpenAFS-devel] afs on sparc64

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:28:53 +0200

On Oct 23, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Harald Barth wrote:

>> So my question is: Does anybody run afs on sparc64 Linux?
>
> I don't think so. I thought I was the last one when I ran SuSE on an
> Ultra 1 2 years or so ago. Back then, I made some ugly patches to the
> arla source which probably did not make it into the distro. You can
> find it here
> /afs/stacken.kth.se/ftp/pub/arla/random-patches/suse-sparc64-0.35.patch
> or at the correspondnding location in ftp but you'll have to work it
> into current arla yourself.

Derrick Brashear  runs OpenAFS on sparc64 (Kernel 2.4.24 AFAIK) on at
least one system with Debian but maybe he's not monitoring the list so
closely on this weekend.
Don't beat me, Derrick, for this :-))
I have no idea how he did it but he never talked swearing about his
SPARCs ... and I'm pretty sure (about 101%) he compiled OpenAFS
himself.

>> If so, how did you do it?
>
> When I did it I was constantly swearing about the lack of coordiantion
> between the different architecture trees in the Linux kernel. There
> is not even a .h file describing the pointer type in the
> sys_call_table*
> It was very frustrating. I don't know why I expose myself to this
> kind of stuff ;-)

you're right about that one ...

> PS: <teasing> If you run a lot of Gnome and KDE stuff on your Solaris 9
>               or 10, will you notice the difference? </teasing>

;-)

Horst