[OpenAFS-devel] afs_pam2 - A simplier approach to AFS integration during login

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:14:40 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> to write shared library rules by hand, but if I do that, I'll be able
>> to give you gcc for Solaris and Linux and then everyone else will be on
>> their own.  libtool would cover more platforms by far out of the box.
>>
>> It also has the advantage of taking care of the LD_RUN_PATH mess.

> So, those dest tarballs we distribute: where are they getting installed?
> Are you sure? Really? I don't believe you. So why is your LD_RUN_PATH
> right for everyone?

You don't want to use LD_RUN_PATH for relocatable tarballs, of course.
There are some parts of the mess that can't be solved.

If you're doing a more "traditional" install on a system where Autoconf
can know where the destination location is, though, libtool deals
reasonably well with making sure the binaries can find the shared
libraries.