[OpenAFS-devel] afs_pam2 - A simplier approach to AFS integration during login

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:24:20 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> At the expense of making 'make install' just outright fail for packages
> which have multiple interdependent shared libraries, because libtool
> assumes that it is fine to install a library in the DESTDIR and then
> assume it will immediately be available in the real prefix for linking
> the next program against.  We have a standard patch we have to apply to
> ltmain.sh in packages like heimdal that have interdependent shared
> libraries, so that 'make install' actually works.  Unfortunately, we
> can't submit this change upstream, because we're pretty sure it will
> break platforms like HP-UX.

Huh, I thought this had already been fixed in current libtool versions.
There was certainly a lot of discussion on the libtool lists that gave
that impression.

> They're shared libraries.  If the platform requires that shared
> libraries be PIC (and most do) then they will be.

Man, I have no idea how I missed that, but you are of course completely
correct.

Well, never mind then.  I'm now going to go work on a far, far simpler
patch to link the PAM modules against the shared libraries, which will
solve all of my problems in a far cleaner fashion.